Monday, February 9, 2015

How to Start a Travel Writing Career While Snowed in


Inspiring You to Reinvent Yourself


Friends, 

What am I to do when the day I picked to start writing travel articles looks like this?

Postman's prints; Writers take no such oath.

1.   Make tea immediately.
2.   Drink it slowly, allowing boy cat to crawl all over me, looking for his mother.
3.   Push boy cat off and get to work. 
4.   Write up overdue notes from a committee meeting.
5.   Email giggly, funny things with a friend. Pretend that it is not disruptive.
6.   Urgently reorganize the crafts shelf that has been messy since the day I arrived. I can take it no longer!
7.   Set the dishwasher going. Hand wash everything that didn't fit so it does not soak a minute longer.
8.   Broil a seasoned haddock fillet. Stare at broiler. 
9.   Microwave broccoli and corn. Move away from the microwave. Awaken sleeping computer.
10. Return to broiler; stare. Move rack closer to the flame.
11. Start up Reinventing Rhonda. Click Analysis. Crow over 272 reads thus far!
12. Take fish from broiler. Plate it. Bring it with me to the computer. Eat a bite. Meh.
13. Check Facebook, in case something happened and is being reported by, commented on, blogged about, caricaturized, debated over or mocked by someone I know, someone whom my friends know or Jon Stewart. Check the news feed each time it bings. 
14. Look outside. Take the picture above. Feel virtuous: this is work, after all. 
15. Tune in to veggies beeping in the microwave. Get up. Consider, but ultimately reject, butter. Feel virtuous. Eat veggies. Virtue courses, like a tsunami, through my veins: Sloth, catch me if you can! (Don't you wish a sloth would lay his three clawed paw on your hand? I do. I also love acting slothful; look how happy they are!) 
telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries
 16.  Tidy up. Find gluten-free cookie dough from my insomnia-binge. Get spoon. Lose all virtue points? No! Because, a. it's gluten free and b. I'm eating it in teeny, tiny bites.
17. Open my mail. After all, the postman's journey was, again, not stayed. Complain: I need a better grade of mail, people.
18. Think, Oh, hey! I was going to start the travel writing career today. Eat more cookie dough.
19. Write a clever name for this blog post.
20. Diligently write a list of 20 instructions for.... 

You're busy. I know. I'll leave you now with a contented sigh and the probability that I will soon need to warm up my tea. 

It is 1:45 pm. Surely, there's plenty of time to write my first travel article today while snowed in? 

After a nap, of course. 
But surely before dinner. 
Really! 

Have a warm and safe week, my friends. Please spread this brilliance broadly, and let me know your thoughts!

Love, Rhonda












3 comments: