Friday, February 6, 2015

The Door that's Closing


My mission: Inspiring you to reinvent your life.

Friends, 

In my years as a school leader, I've been asked thought-provoking questions about the work itself. This one came to mind this week, with news I may now share (read on). 

"Rhonda, what is the thing you teach most, that you never imagined you would teach at all?"

Great question! If only I could remember who gets the credit. (Asker, step forward if you are among us! It was about 2006 or 2007.)

My immediate answer: 

"How far behind you people need to be before you don't have to hold the door open for them."

I've been teaching door manners to children and teenagers for years. I even attempted (success undetermined) to teach them to a cantorial student whom I taught and mentored in his professional studies.

(Remember that with every answer, a nice smile and greeting should accompany the gesture for optimal impact. And with every door held for you a "Thank you," or even "Thank you so much," is in order.)

1. 8-10 long paces. The person should be more than three steps away when the door closes behind you.
2. 15-20 when the person seems frail, is pushing a baby carriage or carrying heavy packages. 
3. As long as needed when an old person is walking toward you alone. What's the rush when you can honor your elders?
4. Add 5 paces with a self-closing door. It's real work to re-open while it's closing.
5. If, as door holder, you are very young or weak, it is perfectly acceptable to allow the next person to take the door, fully open it for you and hold it for others.
6. A woman choosing to honor gender-traditional manners and arriving before an unknown man may hand off the door to him and walk through first. When arriving in the company of a man, she may choose this method or invite him to open the door for her.
7. A man choosing to honor gender-traditional manners, and any woman, may generously hold the door for all men and women arriving reasonably after him.
8. Frail elders and those pushing strollers must always be excused for not holding a door. An apologetic glance from them makes forgiveness easier.


Following door decorum treats everyone to good will, a smile and the opportunity to do or receive good amidst each day's (literal) comings and goings. 

My Announcement

This week, I begin closing the door of a 32 year long career in Jewish education and a 17 year stint in school leadership. I stepped down as head of Albany's Bet Shraga Hebrew Academy of the Capital District. I will consult with the school through June, particularly in re-envisioning its future. Thereafter, I hope to volunteer and keep working toward a future I can practically taste. Hebrew Academy's board graciously accepted my notice and enthusiastically affirmed leadership succession by the sitting Principal. 


I am done earning my living in schools. I have reached my physical limit. I loved the work so much, and I did it well; now I am ready to take a less structured and physically demanding professional  path. I need to write and hope to figure out how to make a living from my laptop.

A Haiku in Honor of Retiring as Head of School
Sleeping without angst,
Breath now seeking calm passage --
Snowy light and faith.

At Hebrew Academy, I set in place strong, stable management. I have striven to hold open the door for my successor, Principal Julie Pollack, and her leadership team. Despite my taking an earlier departure than expected, I know that Julie will stride into her new role confidently, supported by her colleagues and me to succeed at this sacred, never-finished work.

I'll end this post on two disparate notes:

1. The Talmud's Rabbi Tarfon is quoted to have said: "You are not obligated to complete the task, but neither are you free to desist from it" (Pirke Avot 2:21). I seem to live that line. I have begun so many bits of work yet rarely got to see them finished. I do love beginnings, though, so I cannot wait to see what work I am to do next!

Oh, Maker? Oh, readers? Thoughts for me?

2. A perfect cartoon arrived on my FB feed this week:

http://imgfave.com/collection/200156/Quotes


















Thank you for reading. Share this widely, please, and share your thoughts in the comments.

Love, Rhonda

3 comments:

  1. One of the things you could do in your retirement would be to come over here to Pittsfield and work with them on their door etiquette, though their problems seem to verge more to the standing-in-the-door-holding-it-for-you-so-there’s-no-way-to-get-through-except-by-ducking-under-their-arm-end of the spectrum, not to seem curmudgeonly! But you will have better things to do with your time. I am glad to hear that you will be able to become an auntie for Bet Shraga. It would be terrible if they were to lose you altogether. I see many alpacas, yes, yurts, too, in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... what an amazing outlook Rhonda! You will definitely get through the hallways! There is no doubt in my mind.
    Thank you for your openness!
    I will continue to read...

    ReplyDelete